Friday, November 7, 2008

Welcome, Harvey

I received an excited call from my dad yesterday. He's a first time grandpa as of November 6, 2008.
At the risk of being perceived as ignorant, unfeeling and the worst aunt in the world, I would like to say that my first nephew is adorable. But I can't, it's nothing against the work of Captain and Leslie, I just don't think newborns are cute. I'm sorry, but you wouldn't want me to lie about it would you? Harvey will recover from it tolerably well, though Leslie might not be so forgiving.

Once when I was younger I remember asking my folks if I was a cute baby. My mom said I was the cutest little thing. My dad said I was all purple and ugly. I'd like to believe my mom since my dad is known to exaggerate the truth but I'm sure this time was the rare occasion that honesty superseded.

And so I present the first boy and grandchild on the Smith side of the family:

Harvey Gene Smith
8 lbs 3 oz
20 inches

Hi Harvey! Wakey, wakey


The proud grandpa's (my dad is the one not holding the baby)

My mom
Hi Grandma!
Congrats to Captain and Leslie!

and please forgive me...

PS: You may wonder why you don't see a picture of the proud Papa. My brother is in the National Guard and at this time is in basic training. I don't even think he knows he has a son yet...can't wait for him to get that letter.

4 comments:

Ali said...

I don't know if I'm allowed to comment on this blog. Please don't hate me. But I'm Alicia, also known as Bing or Bingham. I was Hillary Judd Parmenter's favorite companion (and consequent best friend). So I'm sorry I'm stalking you.

But I had to comment on this blog because I have ALWAYS thought that newborns were funny looking. And I was not swayed even with the birth of my own daughter. Seriously, the doctors put her in my arms and I fake gushed about her. I did the obligatory "Ohh!! wow!! so cute!! Wonderful!"

But inside I was like "Holy crap, her cheeks are so full, they are squishing her eyes shut! Can someone do something about her cheeks? I don't think her eyes can breathe. Is this normal?" But on the outside I had to pretend that she was stunning. She was not.

Anyway, it took me many weeks to start to think that she was cute. Honestly, I waited until her eyes opened all the way to make the final decision. (And that happened around week 3).

And I will say that your nephew is MUCH better looking than my baby. Hey, if you can't be honest with yourself, what's the use of living?

And again, please don't hate me for stalking you.I just feel like an honorary Judd, so you're like family!

gigi said...

Congratulations Auntie Haley! And shame on you. You know that's the prettiest baby evah!

hil said...

That Bing! "...i had to pretend she was stunning. she was not." who admits that?! just my dear Bingaling. And my dear Hay-Hay! that is so hilarious. i, unfortunately, did not get to see her newborn (and have never even met my honorary niece), but she's darn cute in her pictures.

Amanda said...

Congratulations, Auntie!! I can't believe I missed all of this. Where have I been???